You receive an e-mail like the one shown below. When you click on the link contained in the mail, you are redirected to a website seeking you to download free Anti-Virus software.
Dear valued customers,
We are pleased to announce the newest version of Antivirus 2010 for Windows which will probe you with total security against the latest spyware, malware, viruses, Trojans and other online threats. Simply visit the link below and enter your antivirus code:
or you may contact us at the following address:
Media Internet Consultants, Edif. Neptuno, Planta
Baja, Ave. Ricardo J. Alfaro, Tumba Muerto, n/a Panama
How will you determine if this is Real Anti-Virus or Fake Anti-Virus website?
- A: Look at the website design, if it looks professional then it is a Real Anti-Virus website
- B: Connect to the site using SSL, if you are successful then the website is genuine
- C: Search using the URL and Anti-Virus product name into Google and lookout for suspicious warnings against this site
- D: Download and install Anti-Virus software from this suspicious looking site, your Windows 7 will prompt you and stop the installation if the downloaded file is a malware
- E: Download and install Anti-Virus software from this suspicious looking site, your Windows 7 will prompt you and stop the installation if the downloaded file is a malware